Thursday 19 July 2012

Work Hard V Play hard.







Last night BBC three showed another Cherry Healey "how to get a life "documentary. I’m quite the fan of Cherry I think she is pretty cool and always tries anything thrown at her with gusto ( last nights podium dancing, case in point ) .I guess you could say she lives the kind of life I can but dream off ,making documentaries and also having husband and super cute baby. Anyway, enough about my Cherry crush.


 Last night included a host of characters working too hard, playing hard or trying to combine both. The programme struck up many opinions and at some points, I was close to being angry, with the subjects and somewhat with society in general. First up we had a young chap who confessed to working a twenty-hour day, quite how that is humanely possible I was not sure. Imagine my shock when it also was revealed this man was actually younger than I am. The hours were clear to see in his face .Surviving on a diet of red bull and pro plus so you and succeed, how can any one maintain that week in week? I did it once and can honestly say I felt like I was having a heart attack, the heart palpations were terrifying. The pressure to succeed was so great that he risked his health and relationship with his son. At first, I was horrified at his overly intense work ethic but then I questioned myself, where does that come from and why don't I have it? what makes someone push themselves to such extreme lengths. It's all very well earning all that money but were do you see the benefits ? Reap what you sow? Ultimately, he had no plans to change. 


The workplace and finding any work these days is so difficult and competitive that in years to come were going to see more and more people working themselves into an early grave just to get ahead. I am much more in favour of a living in the moment stance to life, it’s all very well working like a dog for the future but how do you know that's even coming? It's a cliché but you really don't know what is round the corner.Also featured were  two sets of people who take this idea to the extreme. The lads who worked on a chicken farm all week, who could really blame them for wanting weekend of glory. When you have an unsatisfying job, you live for your days off and nights out. Without them, there really is nothing left to live for. I really identified with them as I suspect a lot of people would .When I was working long hours in a job that was tedious ,made my head explode with boredom .I spent every moment of my spare time trying to block it out ,making the most of every second that I wasn't there . The boys featured in the documentary took it to the extreme though, spending every penny that for the week in one night. I am sure they could have had a cheaper night out and not apparently starved for rest of the week.

Next up were the glamorous club promoter girls .Girls actually paid to party,it's enforced fun said Cherry . I thought they had a good deal at first, partying five night’s a week for a living. It is a very hollow existence though, how long will they be considered glamorous enough to live such a life? what happens after the fun is over .It didn't stop me feeling momentarily jealous of there life. There is so much pressure to have a good job , work hard to be successful but also have an active social life as well that you can end up burning yourself out .Constantly burning the candle at both ends ,just asks for trouble everyone needs time off eventually .A "super mum" featured last night ,ended up in hospital but I've written nothing about her as she is irritated me so much. There is pride and then there is just showing off " Look I nearly killed myself so I could buy designer shoes " no cares what shoes your wearing in the end ,if your dead! 

Personally ,yes I would like to have more work ethic more get up and go but not at the expense of my physical or mental health. We only get one shot at life ,there are no second chances why spend it chasing impossible goals .Have fun ,work hard but enjoy what little time you have before it's too late.