Tuesday 31 July 2012

Olympic Fever

As were are now four days into the London Olympics 2012 I thought it was about time I had my say . I have been sadly neglecting my little blog ,due a combination of writing other things and the fact I am utterly addicted to watching said Olympics games . I've discovered that is quite possible to watch some form of sport from around 9am to midnight ! Obviously some sports are more appealing than others but then are some that really surprise you . The second day had me enthralled by a road cycling race .The sheer stamina that that both the men and woman possess in this sport was awe inspiring .A few months ago I took my old bike out for short trip to the shops ,I arrived home a sweaty shivering mess complaining that all roads were up hill .The women's road race takes place of 140 km of constant speed .It's no wonder the athletes involved possess thighs like this :


I do wonder where this man buys his trousers? Does he have to wear lycra everyday ? 

Watching are British athletes compete is somewhat of a roller coaster . It's our natural stance to be the underdog , yes were all cheering like crazy at home and in the stands but inside were probably convinced will lose in till the very last second . As it stands at four days in , the Great Britain team have four medals .Not exactly lighting up the medal table but too me they mean more than any dozen golds given to China . It's not hard to discover how the Chinese treat their athletes , machines bred to churn out Gold at the expensive of anything else .If snatching your children away from home at the age of seven ,to subject them to punishing regimes is the way to get gold then I would rather we had a sea of sliver and bronze . Winning a medal is the culmination of years of hard work and dedication to a sport you choose to dedicate your life too In the UK you've got to make that choice for yourself not be forced into it . 

The Olympics is a great time for making you feel a bit of a failure or just plain lazy .Watching it as adult there isn't a lot you can do about it ,perhaps be inspired to go for a swim or a bike ride . What the Olympics is going to do is inspire children who are young enough to be influenced by it .I wish London games had taken place roughly twenty years ago , maybe I would have been inspired to be something .Given that we don't treat our children like the Chinese we need these kind of events to bring children to sport .I'm not quite sure anyone has a made there Olympic swimming début at the age of thirty . If we had a swimming pool near me ,would I go down and see how fast I could swim? to be honest I would be tempted. 

For the time being I'm content to sit on the sofa ,watching as many sports as I can . I draw the line at a few events though .Hockey should have been left with the nasty girls at school ,I can't lose that connection I'm afraid . Water polo was a bit strange and I thought handball was for rainy PE lessons? I am newly converted to cycling , volleyball and basketball which were all much exciting than imagined . 

Now I need to watch some tennis ..followed by some Gymnastics ..then some Eventing ..






No comments:

Post a Comment